Thursday, November 20, 2008

"Giving"

Two days in a row at 220 lbs. I’ve been eating better the past two days, and as a result, I gained back a lb L

Yesterday:

Breakfast: Oatmeal
Snack: handful of walnuts
Lunch: broccoli cheese soup
Snack: cottage cheese and applesauce
Dinner: black bean burger in a WW wrap with 1 egg, spinach, pickles (yes, I’m weird) peas and leftover brussels sprouts

I also had 2 cups of green tea, and a blueberry tea with a little honey before bed.

Our office has “free jeans days”. These come along when they are trying to raise money for SOMETHING. So no, they usually aren’t free – they should be called “bonus” jeans days instead. We wear jeans every Friday, but this Thursday was free because we’re trying to collect food for a nearby homeless shelter. If we bring a donation, we get to wear jeans. I came walzing in in my jeans, overflowing grocery bag in hand. Yesterday. I went all morning thinking it was Thursday, until someone mentioned that I’d get in trouble if I didn’t change! So I had to call Husband to bring office attire; and I took my food back until today. The worst part? I had to live through an unexpected Wednesday.

I have a problem with food drives that use competition as a way to spur on giving. Of course I DO think that it caused us to get more food than we would have otherwise, but not quality items. I guess I don’t have problems with the competition; I have problems with the competitors. This happened numerous times in high school, too – we end up with 10 flats of Aldi green beans and 30 cases of ramen noodles. Now, granted, this is better than NOTHING, but still, these people are looking for nutrition, variety, toiletries, etc. It should be about providing a good meal to someone, not the cheapest one we can find! Then people start saying “Ramens each count as one!”. Fine, until someone yells “Then each roll in that 24 roll toilet paper pack should count as one!” And then the more expensive items stop rolling in.

Luckily, I don’t give a hamsters bum – I have a mom that works in specialty foods, and pawns off high priced food all the time. I have been giving $7.99 soups, deluxe meat rubs, high quality pasta, etc. People are really impressed with my “generosity”… however I’ve been attempting to explain that it was all FREE, and I am a very simple person; I can’t imagine whipping up a batch of soup that costs $7.99 for two bowls. But I can imagine giving it to someone who needs it!

No comments: